Explore the highest town in Europe with a local guide. The walk trough the narrow streets will lead you to surprising discoveries. Enjoy the city and its forts, a masterpiece of mountain fortifications and unnoticed monuments that deserve to be know.
HERITAGE SERVICE OFFICE
Pignerol gate, number 26
Duration 1Hour 30
Rate 7,20€ / 5,30€ - Free for Children under 12.
Contact +33 (0) 4 92 20 29 49 website
The Chemin de Ronde, situated below the Castle, dominating the point of view the surrounding valleys, allowed to watch.
From the Middle Ages, a bell alerted the inhabitants in case of fire or of danger...
The Notre-Dame-and-Saint-Nicolas Church dominates the ramparts of Briançon. Its story is strongly bound to the catholic politics of Louis XIV and at the important military presence in the city in 17th and 18th centuries.
Atypical work in the history of the fortification, this covered passage had a triple function: assure the communication of the fort of Trois Têtes with Randouillet, block the valley of Fontchristiane and protect the tank of drinking water.
Conceived as advanced sentinel of the chain of fortifications of the 18th century, the strong Dauphin assured the crossing of fires with the fort of Salettes to forbid the access to the city since the way of Piedmont and protected the fort of Heads.
The fortifications of Vauban in Briançon are registered since July, 2008 on the prestigious list of the World Heritage of the Humanity beside eleven other French sites grouped within the Network of the Major Sites of Vauban.
On September 15th, 1884, the first train enters the station to Briançon.
Situated on a major communication road, but paradoxically isolated by a network of difficult roads, Briançonnais welcomes enthusiastically this new means of transport.
Placed at the bottom of the Main street of the city Vauban, below the place General Blanchard, the current said "garden of the Governor " was originally the garden of the convent of Ursulines, installed in the city since 1632.
The old law court or "the public of king" takes place on the military exercise place to Briançon.
Built in the end of the 17th century, it welcomed the services of justice of the city until their departure in 2009.
The doors of cities were the object of a particular care in the defense of fortified towns. It was necessary to be able to come and go in peacetime while checking the accesses and to be able to femer completely in case of enemy attack.